Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Appleby College currently has a challenging opportunity for a
Residential Life Student Support Don
August 2020 to June 2021
WHO WE ARE
Founded in 1911, Appleby College’s mission is to educate and enable young men and women to become leaders of character, major contributors to, and valued representatives of their local, national, and international communities.
Appleby inspires its 765 students from grades 7 to 12 to pursue their individual passions through an internationally recognized and innovative academic, athletic, and co-curricular programme that has been founded on the school’s six Pillars of Strength: Academically Vital, Technologically Empowered, Universally Diverse, Community Spirited, Actively Engaged and Globally Responsible.
Appleby’s model of educational excellence enables and encourages its students to learn and discover independently and collaboratively, both inside and outside of the classroom.
Appleby offers the prospect to be part of a high performing team that fosters an inclusive culture with opportunities to collaborate with other inspiring minds. Working at means that you value diversity, have integrity, and are committed to learning and professional development. We provide an outstanding educational experience to our students by having an exceptional team. ’s foundation for success is attracting and retaining employees who thrive in our dynamic culture that recognizes individual strengths and talents. Breadth, excellence, innovation and caring – this is what defines the essence of the team.
WHAT WE WANT – THE ROLE
Working within the Residential Life program, our Residential Life Student Support Don will provide care, supervise and develop programming for residential students outside of the academic day. Expectations for this position include:
- Reside on-campus while providing pastoral care, programming and supervision to residential students
- Establish good personal contact with boarding students by being approachable and available to answer questions, advise students on personal matters, mediate disputes, maintain community standards and deal with issues as they arise
- In collaboration with the school, develop and supervise student boarding program activities for weekends, long weekends and school term breaks
- Responsible for a variety of supervisor duties for the boarding students living in residence during the afternoon, evenings and weekends
- Accompany students as necessary to the Health Centre or hospital emergency room during student health emergencies
- Work with the House Faculty Team to track student attendance and ensure a positive house culture
- Act as a contributing member of the school community through involvement and leadership in co-curricular activities
WHAT YOU NEED
- Post-secondary education in Child and Youth Care or related human/social services field and/or related education and experience working with a care team to support students from grades 7-12
- Understanding of Child and Youth mental health, Child and Youth Development and informed practice
- Previous residential supervision in camps, secondary or post-secondary environment experience is an asset
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team along with other school faculty and health care providers
- Appreciation of cultural, socio-economic, racial, religious, sexual-orientation, and gender diversity, and commitment to ongoing professional development in supporting a wide diversity of students in a residential environment
- Available to support the Appleby College student residential quarantine program
WHAT WE HAVE
- Exciting, challenging and rewarding work opportunities
- An atmosphere that promotes and encourages exceptional Professional Development
- State-of-the-art facilities that motivate and engages employees
- Located on a 60-acre campus on the shores of Lake Ontario
- Active engagement in community involvement
- On-Campus living accommodation provided
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in joining our team; please connect with us by Wednesday, July 15, 2020
Your application matters to us and we will review it carefully. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
As a condition of employment, a criminal record check is required.
Appleby College website: www.appleby.on.ca
Appleby is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment where everyone feels valued, respected and supported. Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only those chosen for interviews will be contacted.